ContourGPS Firmware Upgrade
Firmware Version: 1.18 (12/12/2011)
Firmware v1.18 improves the following areas:
- Tuned White Balance to provide a clearer white tone and reduce potential for purple to show in video.
- Made White Balance more consistent across different Video and Still Photo Modes.
- Slightly increased exposure.
- Supports 1.5 version of mobile applications.
- Continuous file naming.
- 1.16: Release Notes
- 1.15: Release Notes
- 1.13: Release Notes
- 1.12: Release Notes
- 1.11: Release Notes
- 1.10: Release Notes
Please read through the instructions carefully to familiarize yourself with new features and how to download and install the new firmware on your ContourGPS.
NOTE: This firmware update is only for the ContourGPS. If you have the ContourHD or ContourHD 1080p, please DO NOT download this update.
- 1. Connect your camera to your computer.
- 2. Run Storyteller 3.06 (or later). (What if I don't use Storyteller?)
- 3. When prompted to upgrade the Firmware, select 'Ok' to copy it to your camera.
- 4. When the copy is completed, properly unmount the camera from your computer. Once unmounted, unplug the camera from your computer.
- 5. You will need to locate the "hidden button" on the camera. The hidden button is located just in front of the record slider when the record slider is in the "stop" position. When the record slider is in the "record" position, the hidden button is covered by the slider. If you press down just in front of the record slider, you will feel the plastic underneath the record slider give as the button depresses.
- 6. Once you locate the hidden button, you are ready to upgrade the camera's firmware. First press and hold down the hidden button. Keep the hidden button held down while you press and release the power button. Keep holding the hidden button down. You will hear a beep and then the Memory and Battery LEDs on the rear of the camera will flash twice. These LEDs will then alternately flash red, at this point you can let the hidden button go. When the Memory and Battery LEDs stop flashing, the Firmware update is complete (this generally takes no longer than 30 seconds). At this point the camera will be off.
- 7. Connect the camera to your computer with the USB cable and delete the contour_GPS.bin file from the camera's SD card to free up storage space.
If you are unable to run Storyteller, then download the firmware to the desktop. It should be named 'contour_GPS.bin'. (Download contour_gps.bin v1.18)
- 1. Plug the ContourGPS camera into the computer using a USB cable. Do NOT turn it on. Once connected, the ContourGPS camera will appear as an external USB device on your computer.
- 2. Plug the ContourGPS camera into the computer using a USB cable. Do NOT turn it on. Once connected, the ContourGPS camera will appear as an external USB device on your computer.
- 3. Open a computer file system window and navigate to the camera, now mounted as an external device on your computer.
- 4. Copy the firmware file from your desktop to the root level of the camera’s file system.
- 5. Proceed from step #4 above.